Thursday, February 5, 2009

Accomplishements, Challenges, and Changes

Oh, I so sound like a teacher with that title, but here goes.

I seem to be having more challenges than anything lately, but some of them have turned into accomplishments (I think).

Today, I only swam 500 yards. It was a challenge, but it shouldn't have been. 500 isn't much and I swim them in sets of 50; however, looking back, I did swim the entire 500 without fins. This is the first time I've done that. So, I guess a bit of an accomplishment.

The running is soooooooooo a challenge. I started my 5k program with Fleet Feet this week. It was hard. Harder than usual, and my feet and legs were killing me. The feet have been causing me problems for some time now. I met with the pedorthist that Cheryl recommended yesterday. Basically, he told me I was all jacked up. My right leg is shorter, and not just a little bit, than the left, and my hips are uneven. The right one is dropped lower than the left. The left foot over pronates in order to compensate for its length. The right foot pronates a little, but........ It also twists and goes flying off to the outside. He is making me special inserts so that my feet are somewhat normal. I'm hoping for magic on this one. I know running will still be hard, but I just hope my feet don't hurt as bad. So running, a huge challenge.

On the good side though, hubby is doing the 5k group with me. He smoked all the other people. He was the lead of the pack, I was bringin up the rear. Hopefully, he enjoys doing this and keeps at it. I know he would rather be mountain biking and racket balling.

The biggest challenge lately has been my energy. I have no energy at all. I hate getting up in the morning, so my workouts take place in the afternoon. I come home from work exhausted and take a short break. By the time I get ready, its a wonder I even make it out the door. I'm trying to go with the idea that if I can just get going, my energy will return. Not so much. I'm sure it has something to do with diet. But, I need help on this one. How do I get some more energy?

I have a few changes to make to try and help. I am going to start bringing my gym bag to work with me and head out straight from work to the pool, or bike, or run. I'm hoping that if I stay away from the house, I won't get as tired. I will also start doing some morning stuff. Maybe a few days a week at first.

So, please send me any ideas that you have for energy and such.

2 comments:

mary g said...

You rock! I'm so excited to hear about your amazing accomplishments. I'll talk with you more about diet later and I promise not to yell at you! Love ya sis, you are doing great and tackling each challenge that comes your way!

Fe-lady said...

Hey lady! So glad you finally went to see Mr. Peterson!
You will love what he makes for you...but he will tell you DO NOT run in them for three weeks...walk only!

I know what you mean about working out after work. The days I am working it takes everything I have to get into the pool or on the bike. I hope you are eating well and having a clif bar or something similar before your p.m. workouts. Vitamins? How about drinking water laced with some type of amino acid drink during the day? (BASE amino products are good)
I will tell you that you will HATE getting up and out the door for a workout before work...but you will LOVE not having to workout after work...and I swear those mornings I run I have much more energy during the day for the kiddos...
But then I don't have 30 of them to deal with!
xoxo sending energy and strength to you!