Friday, February 13, 2009

Woo Hoo!

I had a major swimming breakthrough today......

I was able to swim 250 meters continuously. To many triathletes and swimmers, I know this is not much, but to me it is a major milestone. And I'm not a triathlete. Yet!

Four weeks ago, I was sputtering and sidestroking through 75 meters, and that was an accomplishment at the time.

Tonight, I met with my coach, Geoff, at the UofA. Last week, I swam a 150 for him with my fins, so my workouts for the week included 150's with fins and 100's without fins. Yesterday was the first time I swam a 100 without my fins. As a matter of fact, I swam seven of them. Geoff decided that he wanted me to swim 125 or 150, it was up to me and how I felt at the end of 125. When I got to the wall at the end of my 125, I came up for air and dropped down to kick off the wall (no flip turns, yet). When I reached the wall at 150, Geoff quickly asked if I could do more.

I dropped down for another kickoff without missing a beat, came back for 200, and went again. When I reached the wall for 250, I was going to go for 300. But, he stopped me to check my heart rate. I was only at around 144. Not bad at all.

Geoff knew I would push it tonight, but I think I surprised him. I surprised my self a little. Maybe it was all that sugar floating around the classroom today.

Happy Valentine's Day!

2 comments:

Fe-lady said...

Congrats on a job well done!
How is the energy level? You seem pretty "energized" in this report!

Karie said...

Energy is getting much better. I still need to order the aminos but feeling a lot stronger. Thanks!