Sunday, September 20, 2009

Lane Five

Two weeks ago, I started Masters. It was so much fun.

I was incredibly nervous to be throwing my swimming self out there with people I don't know, many of them who really can swim.

When I got to my first practice, I couldn't even get near Geoff as he was surrounded by all the other swimmers. This was his first practice back after a three week trip to Europe to coach a swimmer who was doing the Strait of Gibraltar. Luckily, I found Linda right away. Earlier this year, I met Linda at a Running 101 group from Fleet Feet. She was also training for America's Most Beautiful Century ride around Lake Tahoe at the time and mentioned she might want to do a tri but needed a swim coach. I told her about my coach, and she joined the team this summer while I was away. Having a familiar face around really eased my nerves.

After a few hundred warm-up, I was able to get Geoff's attention, and he seemed pleased I was there. He explained the board to me and sent me off for some more warm-up. Then, we got our workout. My first ever swim team workout. It was hard. 3 x300 Descending rounds with descending intervals followed by 6x50 alternating under-overs/over-unders and a cool down. He had never done this particular workout with this group before. Guess he was saving it for me.

The lane five girls took off and I was quickly getting my butt kicked. Geoff had Linda and I sit out every other 50. Even with this, I still put in 1300 hundred yards. Not too bad for my first practice, even in the slow lane. I went back for more last Monday and then....... Parent-Teacher Conferences and a cold. Conferences take up the entire part of three days with an additional day for prep. With thirty one kiddos, there are only so many conferences you can accomplish in one day.

I'm looking forward to getting back to swim team this week.

2 comments:

Fe-lady said...

You are BRAVE! I can't imagine swimming with a team...great job!
and what are under/overs-over/unders?

How is your ankle?

Wouldn't teaching be nice if you had half the kids? Everyone is getting sick in my room too...blah!
Pace yourself...!

Melissa said...

Hello,

You left a comment on your blog and look forward to reading yours and getting to know you. Keep up the great work. You can do it.

Melissa